5 DAY – KAKADU, KATHERINE AND LITCHFIELD TOURS
Have you ever wanted to experience the amazing places the Northern Territory has to offer?
Well then, jump on our 5-day 4wd camping tour, where you can explore Litchfield, Nitmiluk (Katherine Gorge) and World Heritage-listed Kakadu National Park.
You will be accompanied by a local accredited tour guide, who is experienced, passionate and eager to share his insights into the flora, fauna, history and culture of the areas you traverse; you’ll enjoy the best the Top End has to offer: amazing scenery, incredible walks, secluded swimming spots and unique wildlife.
Add into this a small group of only 8 like-minded travellers and you have all the ingredients for an amazing and unforgettable outback adventure.
Pickups and departures from Darwin’s CBD, Sunday mornings from May through to the end of September.
AUD $1280 – This includes your Kakadu National Park entry fee, full day Katherine Gorge canoeing and your wildlife boat cruise on Corroboree Billabong with Wetland Cruises.
WHAT YOU GET:
- Kakadu National Park entry fee
- Katherine Gorge full day canoe hire
- Dry bag for Katherine Gorge canoe day
- Wildlife boat cruise on the Mary River’s Corroboree Billabong
- Accredited, experienced and Eco-certified tour guide
- Air-conditioned Toyota 4wd vehicle
- Meals as indicated ( B,L,D )
- Darwin CBD pick up and drop off
- Camping fees and camping equipment – includes tent, custom-made swag, pillow, fresh fitted sheet, and pillow case
WHAT TO BRING:
- Sturdy walking shoes (Teva® style sandals are great for canoeing)
- 1-1.5 Ltr water bottle – we carry fresh drinking water so you can top up.
- Wide brimmed hat and long sleeves (sun protection)
- Swimming gear & sunscreen (swim shirt is a better option for swimming and won’t pollute the aquatic ecosystems)
- Camera – remember to charge your batteries before you leave
- Insect repellent (Long sleeved loose fitting clothes are also a great option)
- Sleeping bag – can be hired for AUD $15 – paid morning of departure
- Luggage is restricted to 10kg per person – Please bring small soft airline carry-on size bag
- A good level of fitness and agility is required to participate in this tour.
- Hikes between 3-9 km’s on uneven terrain in hot remote areas.
- This tour is designed for the fit and active.
- Managed Camping Area: Showers and toilets. Sleeping in swags, tents must be erected.
- Private Camping: Showers and toilets. 240 power available. Sleeping in swags, tents must be erected.
- Bush Camping: No facilities. Sleeping in swags, tents must be erected.
VEHICLE AND CAMP TRAILER
- Toyota Landcruiser 4wd Troop Carrier: Air-conditioned vehicle, 10 seats. Side-facing seats in the back.
- Due to very limited luggage storage space in the camp trailer, luggage is restricted to 10kg per person -Please bring small soft airline carry-on size bag.
DAY 1 – DARWIN TO KAKADU NATIONAL PARK
- Pick up Darwin CBD 6.30am.
- Travelling towards Kakadu, our first stop is Corroboree Billabong on the Mary River, for a wildlife boat cruise. While cruising the wetlands you get the chance to see saltwater crocodiles and an – amazing variety of bird life in their natural habitats, all while learning about the important ecosystem they share.
- Off to Ubirr, we wander through ancient sandstone outcrops, viewing paintings depicting traditional Aboriginal people’s way of life over countless generations.
- Climb to the top of Ubirr, where you get amazing panoramic views of the massive floodplains and Stone country of Kakadu and Arnhem Land.
- Set up camp in the heart of Kakadu, tonight campfire cooking and sleeping under the stars. (LD) Managed Camping Area
DAY 2 – KAKADU NATIONAL PARK
- Today we’re up early for breakfast before taking to the dirt roads, for our 4WD adventure into Jim Jim and Twin Falls.
- Taking the Escarpment Walk to the top of Twin Falls, you’ll be rewarded with the amazing views of Twin Falls Gorge and a swim in secluded freshwater pools away from the crowds.
- After lunch, we make our way over to Jim Jim Gorge, following the walking track through the monsoon forest brings you to the base of the falls, another chance for a refreshing swim surrounded by the towering cliffs of the Jim Jim Gorge.
- Back to our camp for a well-earnt dinner cooked on the campfire. (BLD) Managed Camping Area
DAY 3 – KAKADU NATIONAL PARK
- After an early breakfast, we head off towards Maguk (Barramundi Gorge). We walk into the Gorge following Barramundi Creek, through majestic paperbark trees. As we cross the creek, heading towards the waterfall, keep an eye out for the many the different species of fish, (Barramundi, Long Tom, Black Bream and Archer Fish. Just to name a few) at the end of the walk you can cool off in the plunge pool below the falls.
- Leaving Kakadu we head towards Leliyn (Edith Falls) in Nitmiluk National Park, here you can sit back and take in the natural beauty of the area or go for a refreshing swim in the plunge pool.
- Camping under the stars and dinner cooked on the campfire. (BLD) Private Camping
DAY 4 – NITMILUK NATIONAL PARK (KATHERINE GORGE)
- After packing up camp and an early breakfast, you and your new friends can explore Katherine Gorge at your own pace on your full day self-guided tour.
- Today’s adventure starts with a scenic boat journey along the first gorge before you take to the waters to explore the second gorge and beyond, canoeing between the towering sandstone cliffs etched out from the Arnhem land plateau over almost 2 billion years ago by the now Katherine River.
- After leaving Nitmiluk National Park we stop in the historical town of Pine Creek before heading to tonight’s camp
- Tonight eating dinner around the campfire, before falling asleep under the stars. (BLD) Bush camping
DAY 5 – LITCHFIELD NATIONAL PARK
- Today we are off to Litchfield national park, this area is known for its amazing waterfalls, plunge pools, cascading creeks and the world famous Magnetic Termite Mounds
- Here you can have a relaxing day, swim under a spring feed waterfall or just unwind in a cascading waterhole.
- Before we leave Litchfield, we drop in to see the world famous magnetic termite mounts.
- After exploring Litchfield National Park it’s only a short drive back to Darwin. (BL)
Hey, don’t forget you will be back for Darwin’s popular Thursday night Mindil Beach Sunset Markets, with a melting pot of cultural delights, music, and entertainment, the choice is abundant and shouldn’t be missed.
This is a great place for visitors and locals alike to stroll through the colourful local stalls on display, grab a bite to eat and sit on the beach while watching an amazing Top End Sunset.
Mindil Beach Market, May – October -Thursday (5-10pm) – Sunday (4-9pm)
Please note that seasonal closures might affect some areas, in this case, alternate areas will be used.
* National Parks Crocodile management surveys will affect early dry season opening times
*Kakadu NP, May to early June- Jim Jim Gorge and Twin Falls will most likely not be open.
*Nitmiluk NP, May to early June – Canoes will be replaced with 2hr Nitmiluk Gorge cruise.
All itineraries are subject to change without notice due to unforeseen circumstances, seasonal or extreme weather conditions, National Park Road – attraction closures or cultural commitments from Traditional Owners.
Sugarbag Safaris reserves the right to cancel a safari or arrange an alternative operator if group numbers are insufficient. (Min 5 People)
Today’s private tour is one of the reasons I enjoy traveling. My husband and I met Hamish who was a fantastic guide. He is very passionate about the area and he exudes his energy while exploring in the park. He picked us up right on...More
We were lucky to find Hamish and to be able to visit Kakadu with his expert guidance. Our private tour allowed us (with a daughter of 6) to explore the most relevant spots in the beautiful parc. And at night, sleep inside our tent away...More
A fantastic 4 night tour through Kakadu with Hamish as our guide. We travelled in a new 8 seater land cruiser that comfortably fitted the 7 of us and that took us to destinations and sites I could not access on my previous visit. The...More