5 DAY – KAKADU, KATHERINE AND LITCHFIELD TOURS
Have you ever wanted to explore Kakadu, Katherine and Litchfield National Parks?
Well then, this 5-day 4wd camping tour, where you can explore Litchfield, Nitmiluk (Katherine Gorge) and World Heritage-listed Kakadu National Park.
You will be accompanied by a local accredited tour guide, who is experienced, passionate and eager to share his insights into the flora, fauna, history and culture of the areas you traverse; you’ll enjoy the best the Top End has to offer: amazing scenery, incredible walks, secluded swimming spots and unique wildlife.
WHAT YOU GET:
- Kakadu National Park entry fee
- Katherine Gorge full day canoe hire
- Dry bag for Katherine Gorge canoe day
- Wildlife boat cruise on the Mary River’s Corroboree Billabong
- Accredited, experienced and Eco-certified tour guide
- Air-conditioned Toyota 4wd vehicle
- Meals as indicated ( B,L,D )
- Darwin CBD pick up and drop off
- Camping fees and camping equipment – includes tent, custom-made swag, pillow, fresh fitted sheet, and pillow case
WHAT TO BRING:
- Sturdy walking shoes (Teva® style sandals are great for canoeing)
- 1-1.5 Ltr water bottle – we carry fresh drinking water so you can top up.
- Wide brimmed hat and long sleeves (sun protection)
- Swimming gear & sunscreen (swim shirt is a better option for swimming and won’t pollute the aquatic ecosystems)
- Camera – remember to charge your batteries before you leave
- Insect repellent (Long sleeved loose fitting clothes are also a great option)
- Luggage is restricted to 15kg per person – Please bring small soft airline carry-on size bag
- A good level of fitness and agility is required to participate in this tour.
- Hikes between 3-9 km’s on uneven terrain in hot remote areas.
- This tour is designed for the fit and active.
- Managed Camping Area: Showers and toilets. Sleeping in swags, tents must be erected.
- Private Camping: Showers and toilets. 240 power available. Sleeping in swags, tents must be erected.
- Bush Camping: No facilities. Sleeping in swags, tents must be erected.
VEHICLE AND CAMP TRAILER
- Luxury Toyota 200 Series Landcruiser
- Due to very limited luggage storage space in the camp trailer, luggage is restricted to 15kg per person -Please bring small travel soft bag.
DAY 1 – DARWIN TO KAKADU NATIONAL PARK
- Pick up Darwin CBD 6.30am.
- Travelling towards Kakadu, our first stop is Corroboree Billabong on the Mary River, for a wildlife boat cruise. While cruising the wetlands you get the chance to see saltwater crocodiles and an – amazing variety of bird life in their natural habitats, all while learning about the important ecosystem they share.
- Off to Ubirr, we wander through ancient sandstone outcrops, viewing paintings depicting traditional Aboriginal people’s way of life over countless generations.
- Climb to the top of Ubirr, where you get amazing panoramic views of the massive floodplains and Stone country of Kakadu and Arnhem Land.
- Set up camp in the heart of Kakadu, tonight campfire cooking and sleeping under the stars. (LD) Managed Camping Area
DAY 2 – KAKADU NATIONAL PARK
- Today we’re up early before taking to the dirt roads, for our 4WD adventure into Jim Jim gorge. We make our way over to Jim Jim Gorge, following the walking track through monsoon forest brings you to the base of the falls, a great chance for a refreshing swim surrounded by the towering cliffs of the Jim Jim Gorge.
- After lunch, we visit Nourlangie Rock one of the major Aboriginal rock art sites in Kakadu. Here you can see how local Aboriginal people lived in this area through changing times. Environmental and social changes are reflected in the rock art and in the ground, where archaeologists have uncovered over 20,000 years of Aboriginal occupation.
- Back to our camp for a well-earnt dinner cooked on the campfire. (BLD) Managed Camping Area
DAY 3 – KAKADU NATIONAL PARK
- After an early breakfast, we head off towards Maguk (Barramundi Gorge). We walk into the Gorge following Barramundi Creek, through majestic paperbark trees. As we cross the creek, heading towards the waterfall, keep an eye out for the many the different species of fish, (Barramundi, Long Tom, Black Bream and Archer Fish. Just to name a few) at the end of the walk you can cool off in the plunge pool below the falls.
- Leaving Kakadu we head towards Leliyn (Edith Falls) in Nitmiluk National Park, here you can sit back and take in the natural beauty of the area or go for a refreshing swim in the plunge pool.
- Camping under the stars and dinner cooked on the campfire. (BLD) Private Camping
DAY 4 – NITMILUK NATIONAL PARK (KATHERINE GORGE)
- After packing up camp and an early breakfast, you and your new friends can explore Katherine Gorge at your own pace on your full day self-guided tour.
- Today’s adventure starts with a scenic boat journey along the first gorge before you take to the waters to explore the second gorge and beyond, canoeing between the towering sandstone cliffs etched out from the Arnhem land plateau over almost 2 billion years ago by the now Katherine River.
- After leaving Nitmiluk National Park we stop in the historical town of Pine Creek before heading to tonight’s camp
- Tonight eating dinner around the campfire, before falling asleep under the stars. (BLD) Bush camping
DAY 5 – LITCHFIELD NATIONAL PARK
- Today we are off to Litchfield national park, this area is known for its amazing waterfalls, plunge pools, cascading creeks and the world famous Magnetic Termite Mounds
- Here you can have a relaxing day, swim under a spring feed waterfall or just unwind in a cascading waterhole.
- Before we leave Litchfield, we drop in to see the world famous magnetic termite mounts.
- After exploring Litchfield National Park it’s only a short drive back to Darwin. (BL)
Hey, don’t forget you will be back for Darwin’s popular Thursday night Mindil Beach Sunset Markets, with a melting pot of cultural delights, music, and entertainment, the choice is abundant and shouldn’t be missed.
This is a great place for visitors and locals alike to stroll through the colourful local stalls on display, grab a bite to eat and sit on the beach while watching an amazing Top End Sunset.
Mindil Beach Market, May – October -Thursday (5-10pm) – Sunday (4-9pm)
Please note that seasonal closures might affect some areas, in this case, alternate areas will be used.
* National Parks Crocodile management surveys will affect early dry season opening times
*Kakadu NP, May to early June- Jim Jim Gorge will most likely not be open.
*Nitmiluk NP, May to early June – Canoes will be replaced with 2hr Nitmiluk Gorge cruise.
All itineraries are subject to change without notice due to unforeseen circumstances, seasonal or extreme weather conditions, National Park Road – attraction closures or cultural commitments from Traditional Owners.
Awesome 5 days touring Kakadu with Hamish and sleeping in swags under the stars. His local knowledge was superb and he provided a fascinating insight into the area, its history... read more
I've dreamt about spending my 40th birthday in Kakadu for years. Hamish was the perfect tour guide to help me plan a memorable tour for me and some of my... read more
What a great way to spend a weekend seeing the magical parts of Kakadu. Hamish is the most incredible host, taking care of our family, and engaging everyone in... read more